The residence permit for investment (Golden Visa) enables third-country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit for investment, with a long-stay visa exemption.
The Golden Visa is a temporary residence permit valid for a period of 1 year, from the date it is issued and may be renewed for successive periods of 2 years, as long as the requirements necessary for it to be granted are maintained.
- Holders of a valid visa Schengen
- The applicants must regularise their presence in Portugal within 90 days of their first entry into Portuguese (if necessary, they must obtain a short-term visa from the Portuguese Consulate in their country of origin)
- Proof of compliance of the minimum quantitative requirements in relation to the chosen investment activity
- The investment activity chosen by the applicant must have been made at the time the application for a residence permit is presented and the investment must be maintained for a minimum period of 5 years
- Living and working in Portugal, on condition of staying in Portugal for a period of 7 or more days, in the first year, and 14 or more days, in the subsequent years
Types of eligible investment activities for the purpose of obtaining Golden Visa
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above € 1,000,000.00;
- The creation of, at least, 10 job positions;
- The purchase of real estate property with a value equal to or above € 500.000,00;
- The purchase of real estate property, with construction dating back more than 30 years or located in urban regeneration areas, for refurbishing, for a total value equal to or above € 350.000,00;
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above € 350.000,00 for investing in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions involved in the national scientific or technologic system;
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above € 250.000,00 for investing in artistic output or supporting the arts, for reconstruction or refurbishment of the national heritage, through the local and central authorities, public institutions, public corporate sector, public foundations, private foundations of public interest, networked local authorities, local corporate sector organizations, local associations and public cultural associations, pursuing activities of artistic output, and reconstruction or maintenance of the national heritage;
- Capital transfer of the amount of € 350.000,00, or higher, for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital fund of funds dedicated to the capitalisation of companies, capital injected under the Portuguese legislation;
- Capital transfer of the amount of € 350.000,00, or higher, for constitution of a commercial society with head office in the national territory, combined with the creation of five permanent working jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of a commercial society with head office in national territory, already existing, with the creation or keeping of working jobs, with a minimum of five permanent jobs, and for a minimum period of three years.
- Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal;
- Freely circulate by the Schengen countries;
- Family reunification;
- After 5 years, request the assignment of Permanent Residence Permit under Foreign Laws;
- After 6 years, request Portuguese nationally, through naturalisation, complying with the requirements of the Nationality Law (Lei n. º 37/81, de 3 outubro).
Relevant contacts: The Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/sea-contacts.aspx